Friday, February 5, 2010

Star light, star bright

Look at the stars, look how they shine for you and everything you do…


I LOVE STARS! No, not star decorations, star tattoos or gold stars on the board…I’m talking about stars in the sky; the Milky Way, constellations, shooting stars and satellites. I am not sure exactly when my love of stars began. When I was a little girl someone taught me "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might have this wish I wish tonight". I think it was my Momma. Sometime around 5th or 6th grade Grandpa would  sit/lay out in the yard with us and look for satellites in the sky. If you just watch for slow, steady, unblinking movement, usually around the Milky Way...that's a satellite! With this game, Grandpa introduced me to the vast expanse of the galaxy and even gave me my very own constellation. You all know it as Cassiopeia, The Seated Queen.

WHY you ask!

What does it look like to you? The letter W! What’s my name start with? The letter W!

Hey, I’m pretty thrilled to have my own constellation. I feel connected to it, like seeing an old friend when I look up to the night sky.

There is NO BETTER PLACE to see the stars at night than in the darkness below my barn. Imagine stand in the shadows, holding Howly Berry (our purrrrry farm cat) and listening to the horses munch at their dinner, all the while taking in the night sky in all its glory. I seek out Cassiopeia first and then make my way across the sky, picking out the constellations I learned in high school astrology class. I love nights when the stars are vividly shining and the Milky Way seems so crisp, like a big white ribbon around the sky.

So I challenge you- find a shadowy place tonight (providing it’s not too cold) and check out the stars. See if you can pick out all the stars of a constellation, even if it’s the Big Dipper!

No comments:

Post a Comment